Tuesday 10 February 2015

Bureaucracy 2

When I first visited Brazil I came as a tourist, and from the UK that meant that I didn’t require a physical visa, but could visit for 90 days (renewable for a further 90 days) without any problems. After I decided that I wanted to live over here I soon realised getting permanent residence would be difficult, so started by volunteering at a local NGO (charity) and applied for a 2 year volunteer visa in England. The process was not that difficult, but has to be done in person at the Brazilian consulate in London, and entailed a few visits (mainly because the charity didn’t supply me with everything I needed at first), and before I got the visa I had already returned to Brazil as a tourist, and started settling down – bought a house and a car – though I returned to England, twice, to try and expedite the visa. In the end once all the correct paperwork was submitted, it was quite a fast and straightforward process, and eventually I returned to Brazil, entering on a 12 month (they would not issue the 2 year, but rather a one year renewable to two!) volunteer visa, with the warning that I had to register with the Federal Police here within 30 days.
It is virtually impossible to find out in advance what the requirements are for any application process here so I went to the Federal Police with an open mind. They gave me an application form with a list of documents I needed, some of which had to be “authorised” by a notary. The FP offices for foreigners is at the airport in Salvador, but there are no notaries anywhere nearby so I had to head into Salvador to get this done. Finding a notary is not difficult, but I had to take a ticket and queue, which took 3 hours! I also needed some photos taken so got these done too on my way back. The PF checked all the documents and then told me to come back in 120 days to collect my ID card! They also gave me an application form to renew my volunteer visa the following year, with a list of required documentation.
The following June I got together all the documents listed on their form, however I was unable to make the required payment for the renewal. To make “official” payments you have to generate an invoice and then take this to a bank, however the number given on the form was not recognised by the invoice generator, and an internet search gave no clue as to what to do. So I went in anyway and explained that I was unable to make the payment, to be told that it had changed and they gave me a new number – fortunately they also printed off the invoice so I went and paid at the bank in the airport, and was soon back at their desk, with my form and all the documents … and disaster! The requirements had changed! There was a new form with an even bigger list of required documents!
I must admit that I flipped! Probably not a good idea when you are in the offices of the people who can deport you, but I was so angry! Their website (I had checked) gave no indication that the rules had changed, and so I was standing there missing a load of necessary paperwork (mainly from the charity!), and the principal of the charity was at the time in England for an unspecified amount of time! This meant that getting her signature on any documents (like a new offer of posting) was going to be very hard. On top of this I was close to the application deadline so was pretty sure there was no way I could re-apply in time. I must admit they were very helpful, despite my outburst against them (or maybe because of it!), and told me not to worry about the deadline – as long as I got the paperwork in before my visa expired (usual application deadline is 30 days before) it would be OK, and if it looked unlikely that I could then I should call them and they would see what they could do.
I did manage to get everything back in time – just – but that was not without some problems too (an officer of the charity signed the documents, but their signatures had to be notarised as well), and managed to get my visa extension. But when I went back to the PF they gave me another application form – to renew my ID card. I was not expecting this, but fortunately I had extra copies of some of the documents, plus additional photos with me, so there were no real dramas in the end – though I again had to return in another 120 days to collect the ID card! Why they could not have given me all the forms at once, or even have a foreigner’s package with everything in one place (or even have the information readily available on their website), is beyond me.

Many tourists who go to Brazil every year overstay their tourist visas, and to some extent I cannot say I blame them as renewal is such a complicated process, though it is not something I would do or condone. They just drop off the radar, work (which is not permitted as a tourist, so therefore they also do not pay any taxes!), and stay illegally in Brazil. If they get caught, which is highly unlikely as the PF have better things to do than look for tourists overstaying, or it is noticed when you try and leave the country, you have to pay a small fine, and that is it – you can return again at any time with no sanction. Every three or four years Brazil has an amnesty, and illegals can turn themselves in and, as long as there is no criminal record, they are “rewarded” with permanent residence – so if you do everything by the book you can get at best a 2 year volunteer visa, during which you give 2 years of your time (unpaid) to a Brazilian charity, and then have to leave returning for 6 months a year as a tourist, or you do it all illegally and get the right to permanent residence! Bureaucracy has gone mad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments, however Spam or adverts will not be allowed. The blog is open to all so please minimise the use of improper language!