Thursday 29 October 2015

The dreaded Bucket List

"25 Places to see before you die!"

"50 things to do before you die!"

"100 ideas for your bucket list!"



These are common headlines around the internet and in magazines, and no doubt spur some people to rush out and write their own list. I have never felt the need to do this, possibly because I have been fortunate to have had some pretty amazing experiences, and visited some incredible places during my "normal" lifetime, and, though there are places I would still like to see, and things I would still like to do, I feel that if I made a list - apart from deciding what to leave off - then if I didn't manage to complete it I would feel as though I have failed. Unless you have unlimited funds, and unlimited time, it is more than likely that you will "fail" to do everything (and if you actually manage to complete your list, what next - another list?), and the last thing I want is to sit and regret never having visited the Taj Mahal, or reached Everest Base Camp, or Bungee jumped off a bridge, but rather to remember all the wonderful places I have seen, and the incredible experiences I have had.

So this is my "Things I have done list" - all were, to me, pretty amazing, and I wish I had photographic evidence of them! So as not to put them in any order of importance I will try and list them chronologically (though will probably fail miserably as I think of new ones to add!).


  1. Make a long sea voyage on a liner (3 actually!) - twice out to Africa and once back
  2. Visit Africa
  3. Swim in the Atlantic Ocean
  4. Go on safari
  5. Fly in a plane
  6. See the Zambezi river
  7. Visit Victoria Falls
  8. Visit the Zimbabwe ruins (I am not talking about the country as it is now, but the ancient stone ruins)
  9. Travel on a paddle steamer
  10. Swim in the Indian Ocean
  11. Learn to play golf
  12. Ride a motorbike
  13. Drive a car (actually a Landcruiser jeep!)
  14. Visit South Africa
  15. Visit Denmark where I have family
  16. Visit Kenya
  17. Snorkel on the coral reef
  18. See the Rift Valley
  19. Learn to bake bread - commercially!
  20. Do a motorbike road trip from UK to Denmark - through Belgium, Holland and Germany!
  21. Buy a 650cc motorbike
  22. Ride a bike at 120mph (scared myself and never did it again!)
  23. Buy a house
  24. Get married
  25. Become a father
  26. Visit Swaziland
  27. Visit Kruger National Park
  28. Learn Archery
  29. Learn Abseiling (artificial wall)
  30. Learn climbing (artificial wall)
  31. Become qualified activity instructor
  32. Get divorced
  33. Buy a VW Camper Van
  34. Visit Spain
  35. Visit Tunisia
  36. Visit Brazil
  37. Visit Morro do Sao Paulo
  38. Visit the Chapada Diamantina National Park
  39. Live in Brazil
  40. Do charity work
  41. Visit Iguacu
  42. Visit the Pantanal
  43. Spend Carnaval in Salvador
  44. Visit Peru
  45. Visit Islas Ballestas
  46. Visit Huanchaco
  47. Swim in the Pacific Ocean
  48. Live in Peru
  49. Visit Chachapoyas
  50. Visit Quelap
  51. Visit Gocta waterfall (16th tallest in the world)
  52. Visit Scotland
  53. Tour by motorbike in Peru
  54. Drive through the Maranon Canyon by motorbike (deeper than the Grand Canyon)
  55. Visit Huaraz
  56. Drive along Duck Canyon (considered to be one of the world's most dangerous roads)
  57. Visit the USA
  58. Drive (most of!) Route 66
  59. See the Grand Canyon
  60. See Hoover Dam
  61. Take a boat trip on Lake Mead
  62. Drive a convertible Ford Mustang (in California)
  63. Visit Utah
  64. Celebrate Thanksgiving
  65. Get a tattoo
That will do for now (I have no doubt missed some out and will revisit it - after all I have not kicked that bucket yet!) - and if I had to pick the highlight it would have to be #25 - I was there at the birth of my daughter and it was the most magical experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments, however Spam or adverts will not be allowed. The blog is open to all so please minimise the use of improper language!