Sunday 21 August 2022

Being ill abroad - part 5

 Unfortunately this was a false start! I was fully expecting to come out of surgery with no more Chip, but when I came round the surgeon told me they decided to simple take a deep tissue biopsy. This meant that I was able to go home the following day as I only had a very small wound on my shoulder, but I was rather annoyed that this meant another long wait before further treatment.

In early January I was called back in for the biopsy results, and they confirmed that Chip was a chondrosarcoma, and that surgery would be scheduled as soon as possible. The first date I was given was cancelled as the lead surgeon's father passed away due to Covid, and he was on an extended leave of absence, and I had a long wait for a new date. Eventually I was told that surgery would take place on April 6, 2021, and given a new list of pre-admission tests I would need - but as always things in Peru never go according to plan!

I was told to come in on April 1 and would be admitted as an emergency cancer patient, so had to report to the oncology department at 9.00. I then had to undergo pre-admission procedure, including a Covid test, blood tests, ECG, and was told I would also need an x-ray, a CT scan, and an off-site MRI scan (which they would take me to after admission).  After several hours the head of oncology, who I had met previously and spoke perfect English, came to speak to me. There were no beds available, and also 5 days prior to surgery he felt it was too soon for all the tests I had already had - which were supposed to be 48-72 hours prior to surgery! - so he sent me home, telling me to return as a normal admission on Saturday April 3 before 15.00. I was told I needed to have blood tests before admission, as well as the MRI (which they cannot so on-site), and they would arrange the x-rays after admission, so decided to get the blood work done in Trujillo prior to the booked MRI (the hospital booked it for me as I couldn't get one done that quickly!). I arrived in Trujillo at 8.30 (the blood tests and the MRI were fasting, so no breakfast yet), to find a monster queue already outside the blood testing centre! I had plenty of time so joined the queue, but suddenly my phone rang.

It was the hospital - "Where are you?" I explained I was waiting for blood tests and then would get the MRI before going to the hospital. They told me I had to go there immediately as I needed the x-ray. I told them they said that would be arranged after admission, but they insisted I went there straight away as it had to be done prior to admission! I got a taxi to the hospital and went straight to x-ray - blood tests are only done until 9.00 at the hospital, so I was already too late for this, but there was an independent centre across the road so I had them done there, before catching a taxi back home to collect my bag before heading for the MRI! It was all now a manic dash to get things done, whereas before I had everything in hand!

I took a taxi back into Trujillo and had the MRI - then there was a 90 minute wait for the results. They will email the details, but the "plates" have to be collected, and the hospital needed these, but I had to collect them at 13.00 - so still plenty of time to get them before admission prior to 15.00! As I hadn't eaten - it was now about midday - I looked for a local eatery, but I was carrying my admission bag, as well as a pillow this time, and the closest restaurants were all closed (still Covid restrictions in Peru), though eventually found one open and ordered a meal. Then my phone rang again - "Where are you? You should be here!" I explained that I had to wait for the MRI scans and had to have some food as well, but would be there as soon as possible. "You have to be here by 15.00!" 

I had my lunch, walked back to the MRI centre, and only had a couple of minutes to wait for the test scans, and caught a taxi. It was now about 13.00 and maybe 20 minutes away from the hospital, but again my phone rang! "Where are you?" Upon arrival at the hospital they rushed me through to admission, and found me a chair inside the entrance to the ward - and I sat there until after 16.00 before finally being admitted to the ward, having rushed around all day due to them, when I thought I initially had everything in hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments, however Spam or adverts will not be allowed. The blog is open to all so please minimise the use of improper language!