Friday 2 November 2018

Northern Peru Adventure - Part 7 - Moving to Mancora

I decided to move my base to Mancora for the last few days of my trip, as I was still hoping to find a fishing trip that wouldn't break the bank. My last evening in Zorritos I went for a walk on the beach then for a meal in Zorritos town. I had thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the hostel there, and was definitely going to go back at a later date.


Oystercatchers on the shoreline

Beautiful sunset for my last night

Zorritos really is a lovely place

The sea tinged with pink from the setting sun

Zorritos has a "waterfall" display in the centre, but most nights it wasn't working

Unfortunately this three-wheeler parked in front spoiling everyone's view.
I had booked into a hostel in Mancora, but knew it was a little out of the centre - though it was one of the few offering secure parking. The day I visited before parking in town was at a premium (that is, if you parked legally!!) and there were parking "attendants" who looked official collecting fees. The hotel called itself "budget" and was new, but was adequate to my needs - though they didn't have a restaurant serving breakfast (not that uncommon in Peru) and there didn't appear to be any places in the vicinity serving breakfast, or even open to serve anything, in the morning, so it was quite a walk to find my breakfast!
Mancora is a holiday destination, situated on the Panamerican Highway, which runs right through the middle - so, along with heavy goods vehicles and buses heading South from Ecuador and beyond, the road is very busy, with three-wheeler taxis ferrying people about, and many tourist vehicles, and is little more than two vehicles wide, with no parking room along much of its length through Mancora.
One thing I like doing when on my travels is just sitting and watching the world go by - and taking photos, of course!


Panamerican Highway close to my hotel

Panamerican Highway - much wider here than in the town centre

Bus heavily laden with Bamboo - used in the construction industry

Waiting for my breakfast

"Safe" way to carry a surfboard on a motorbike - crossways!

Three-wheelers abound! Like the moto-taxis (2 wheeled) in Brazil you can call one and ask him to go to the shops for you! 



Common sight coming towards you - 2 x 3-wheelers abreast 
Ice cream vendor



Larger three-wheelers generally used for freight

The 3-wheelers buzz around everywhere, turning and stopping without warning, and since this is the Panamerican Highway I would expect them to show a little more caution! They are also regularly used as school transport and can be seen filled with children on the way to school - sometimes over-filled and with one or two hanging off the back! Amazing how many parents entrust their children, unaccompanied, on the way to school like this.
Again I tried some of the tour companies but still none were offering any fishing trips, so I decided that the next day I would explore some of the small fishing villages to the South, but with my main target being Cabo Blanco, made famous by Ernest Hemingway, one of my favourite authors, and film location for his novel "The Old Man and the Sea", though that was based in Cuba, not Northern Peru!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments, however Spam or adverts will not be allowed. The blog is open to all so please minimise the use of improper language!