Friday 30 November 2018

Living in Brazil - 9 years on

Around 9 years ago I took the decision, which at the time appeared to be the only sensible one open to me, to move to Brazil. My reasons for doing so are laid out in an earlier post (Leaving England for new pastures) so I won't repeat that here, but I was rather heading into the unknown, as apart from a small amount of savings (after I had bought and furnished a house to live in), all I had coming in was a very small annuity which at that time was £220 a month. The amount had been guaranteed for two years initially, and I had no way of knowing what would happen to it at the end of that time - it could just as easily have gone down as up! As it turns out it has gradually increased year-on-year and is now almost double that original amount! As I am also now officially retired and getting a UK pension my financial situation is much improved - while I am in Brazil! Back then the annuity was just about enough to live on, as long as I didn't do any travelling, and didn't have any large unexpected expenses.
Those who follow my Blog will know, however, that I do not have permanent residence in Brazil, so spend 6 months of the year in neighbouring Peru, where I have to rent an apartment, so, until my pension started this year meant that I was unable to save any money, and was using up my "old" savings while in Peru and in getting there, as well.
I like living in Brazil, and would still choose to live here if circumstances had been different - Brazil was my original destination as much through circumstance as choice, though I have spoken Portuguese for almost 60 years, and my nephew still lives 250 miles (400 kms) away from me here, but looking 9 years ago at alternative "cheap" places to live didn't throw up any viable options, and still doesn't! (I have been told that some Eastern European countries like Romania would be easily within my budget, but language would be a major stumbling block) With my pension I maybe could just about survive back in the UK, and that may become my only option as I get older and if my health fails, as I probably couldn't afford healthcare here or in Peru, but I am not looking forwards to the though of months of cold weather, and related heating costs. 
Brazil isn't perfect, and living in a very rural, remote area can be trying, and I have been accused of seeing things through rose-tinted spectacles, but think that after 9 years the fact that I still feel the same way about it, despite the problems faced, says a lot for how good life can really be here for an impoverished retired foreigner. If I were younger and looking for work out here, and had a family to raise, though, I am sure my opinion would be quite different.
I am fortunate that though I live alone, I do not feel lonely, despite that fact that I also do not have any close friends here - I have always been a bit of a lone wolf, so manage quite happily on my own. I would, however, be lost without the internet! It is my only real contact with my daughter back in the UK, and with other friends and acquaintances, and, since I don't have TV in my house, my only source of digital entertainment. I live in a National Park, and we are surrounded by incredible countryside, with waterfalls, nature walks, grottoes, and greenery all year round, so never lack anything to go and look at, and having a motorcycle allows me to explore whenever I want.
The cost of living here, for me, still appears reasonable 9 years on - but I do not have to support a family of 4 (or more) on minimum wage (which is currently around £200 a month), with no social security benefit back-up! If I make direct comparisons with prices in the UK (based on their minimum wage, which is currently over £1000 a month), then living here doesn't seem quite so cheap! Petrol, for example, is only about 30% more expensive in the UK (minimum wage is 5 times more!), but my council tax is probably 10 times less than I would pay "back home", though I receive similar services. I rent in Peru (similar minimum wage levels to Brazil) and a one bed-roomed apartment with all services included, as well as internet and cable TV, cost me around £200 a month (and would probably be the same here in Brazil) - a similar all-inclusive unit in the UK (in a decent area!!) would be 4 times that, at the very least. It is difficult to make direct comparisons - especially as I live simply, as I do not smoke, rarely drink, rarely eat out, do not have membership of any clubs or societies (never felt the need for that), and my only real vice is food - I do like to eat well, and, fortunately, am quite a good cook.
So on a day to day basis Brazil is perfect for someone like me with my lifestyle and "income" - so what are the downsides? Well, for starters living in such a remote rural area means a lack of shopping options, so if you need some new furniture, some new clothing, new electrical goods, etc. it is a major problem getting them! We do have a shop in town that sells things, but the selection is very limited, and prices a lot higher than would be in a major city (our closet one is 250 miles/400 kms away), and shopping online ... well, let's just say that for a foreigner without a Brazilian bank account (as a tourist you cannot open one) it is nigh impossible, and delivery charges (and lead times!) are prohibitive!
Finding a tradesman is also a challenge - everyone claims to be an electrician/plumber/builder/etc. etc., but very, very few have even the basic skills required. They are all desperate for work so will claim the ability, and try anything you need! The quality of the finished work is often very poor, though, though the costs are also low. Another thing is that if you need, say, a garden wall building - the "builder" will tell you it will cost £200, but that is just his labour charge, as it is up to you to buy all the materials separately. He will tell you what you need and you pay for them and have them delivered - and anything left over (because he miscalculated!) is yours for the next project! He will also have very limited tools, so more often than not he will be using yours, and may even ask you to buy some things that are needed if he cannot borrow them elsewhere!
Reliability is an issue, too, not only with tradesman coming when they say they will and turn up late, or the following day, but even among people you consider friends. I posted before about a young man I had known for almost 8 years and considered a friend (With friend like these who needs enemies? ), who had betrayed my trust badly, but even this year when I had someone else look after my house I had problems. When I got back there were no problems with the actual house, and he had even done a few jobs around the place, for example he had found a part-used tin of paint and did some interior painting, but I had left him money to pay all the utility bills while I was away and came back to 3 outstanding water bills (that is half the number that came in while I was away), including a reconnection as it had been cut off for non-payment, an electric bill and my council tax bill. He had used the money for other things so had none to pay my bills, I was so relieved that my house was intact this year, after the experience last year, that I was not too bothered, but it still reflects badly on how Brazilians think of us Gringos, and that they take advantage of us without a second thought.
Finally, and perhaps the most important one, is healthcare. I am now 65 and have no right to free healthcare in Brazil (or Peru), and though the cost of major procedures is still a fraction of places like the USA, it would still cost a lot more than the UK where I would get treatment free on the National Health Service. If (when?) my health starts causing concerns I will have to re-assess the situation, and probably opt to sell up and return to the UK permanently. But, for now, the decision to move here was, I think, one of the best decisions I ever made, though I still miss being able to see my daughter on a more regular basis!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments, however Spam or adverts will not be allowed. The blog is open to all so please minimise the use of improper language!