Sunday 25 November 2018

Visiting the Police Station

This morning I had cause to visit the local Police Station - nothing serious I was just after some advice for my nephew about a hostel guest who had done a runner without paying, but who had turned up in the town where I live here.
The building that houses the Policia Militar here (literally Military Police, but these deal with the normal public) is one of the older buildings in the town and the main door was open, followed by some steps leading to a locked glass door. It was just before 08.00 and I wasn't sure if they had "opening hours" (OK, I know that sounds odd for the Police, but this is Brazil, remember!), so I knocked lightly on the door. A female officer appeared from a room down the hall donning her flak jacket and opened the door for me. I explained the reason for my visit, and she led me into an office, then apologised and said she would be back in a few minutes as she had to deal with something in the "quartel", which means barracks. While waiting a male officer came in - well, I assumed he was an officer as he had a gun in his hand, but was wearing very flimsy shorts and a camouflage t-shirt, which almost looked like sleeping garments - and he asked me if I was being attended to. The female officer eventually returned after a few minutes, and so did he, and between them they gave me the information I needed, so I thanked them and headed out - the female officer accompanying me to unlock the glass door.
As we reached it several more police officers, all heavily armed with automatic rifles, came up the stairs, so I stood to one side to allow them entry - always very respectful towards the Police, especially when they are heavily armed! The still scantily-clad male officer, and the female officer both saluted the new arrivals, and there was much hand-shaking, which amusingly included me!! I managed to slip out and parked in the road was a 4x4 with Rondas Especiais Chapada, blazoned on the sides (Special Routes), which I believe is like "rapid response".
While I was sitting waiting for the officer to return I realised that this was only the third time - in 65 years - that I had actually been inside a Police Station! The first time was some 30 years or so back when I had gone to collect someone who had been arrested for a petty offence, and the only other time was when I went to ask for a Police Certificate for my volunteer visa for Brazil - both those were in the UK. I always have the utmost respect for the Police, and am always pleased to see them out and about as it makes me feel safer, even out here and in Peru, where in both countries their reputation is not as good as, say, in the UK. I am firmly of the belief that everyone treats you pretty much in the same way that you treat them, so if you show respect you get that back, and if you are abusive to the Police, simply because they are Police, they will not treat you very well in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments, however Spam or adverts will not be allowed. The blog is open to all so please minimise the use of improper language!