Saturday 22 December 2018

Cordillera Blanca - Part 2 - Huaraz

I was expecting some reaction to the altitude as I had suffered a little - shortness of breath, nausea, headache - my first trip to Chachapoyas, but I was not expecting the violent reaction I got this time! The nausea this time was full-blown vomiting, and I couldn't even keep water down, and the headache refused to go away despite medication, I just felt so tired so basically spend 48 hours in my hostel bed. I ventured out to buy more water, as I knew I had to stay hydrated, and also bought some orange juice (in a carton) and some fresh fruit, just to try and eat something.
Late on the second day I knew I had to do something about the vomiting as I couldn't even keep water down, so went to the chemist across the road and asked if they had anything. The pharmacist gave me an anti-emetic, and some strong analgesics (for the headaches) and these did the trick, as by the third morning I was feeling well enough to get out and about! I went down and had breakfast - coffee, juice, 2 bread rolls and some jam - and as I was so hungry by then it was heavenly, and made me feel good enough to explore! However I decided to stick around the city and not risk any riding just yet.


Plaza de Armas - like so many Peruvian towns the Plaza is the focal point and is generally very well maintained.
My hostel was located close to the 2 markets (the older indoor market and the new fresh food market), but not that far from the Plaza de Armas, but the 800 metres (half mile) or so left me breathless, and I had to stop along the way for a rest, showing me that the altitude was still affecting me!


Decorative seating like the one I rested on


This was in one of the smaller parks near the centre - giving homage to the fact that the Cordillera Blanca is a well-known mountaineering region too.

Snowy peaks in the background

Huaraz sits in a valley surrounded by high snow-capped peaks

Huaraz Cathedral
This is a common sight in many towns here - near the town hall typists who will fill in official forms, or even type letters, for people without access to printers, or, in some cases, cannot read or write themselves.

Another common sight - Llamas for selfies with the tourists!

Peruvian lady in traditional dress

Snapdragons

Marigolds, with a Coleus (I think!) border

Cosmos, I think!
I love the Plaza de Armas in Peru, they are a haven in the middle of the towns, and though at times very busy, they still offer a calm space to sit and watch the world go by!
As Huaraz is a popular spot for mountaineers, and is often used as "nursery" slopes to prepare for trips to the Himalayas and Everest, there are several "outdoor equipment" stores, and I finally managed to find a face snood to go under my crash helmet and protect my face from sunburn - I had been using a cut-off t-shirt since my trip to Cajamarca, when I got badly burnt, and it was great to finally find the correct piece of gear!
I decided that I had done enough for my first fully fit day, so went back to the hostel for a nap, and then ventured out again that evening for a meal, and had lasagne - at a pizzeria - in one of the small squares, as I wasn't 100% confident that my stomach was settled enough for anything traditionally Peruvian!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments, however Spam or adverts will not be allowed. The blog is open to all so please minimise the use of improper language!