Sunday 28 October 2018

Northern Peru Adventure - Part 5 - Chilling out

I was really enjoying my stay at Zorritos - the hostel was very relaxing, and I was quite happy some days to just kick back and take things very easy. I have a very fair skin and burn easily, so also had to limit my sun exposure - so after a day outdoors, I had to be careful the following day and avoid too much sun.
I did however want to have a look at the fishing "port" at Zorritos - there is no pier but the boats lay offshore and ferry the catch in by tender, unloading these on the beach, where the sea was very calm. When I got there I soon realised I had missed the landings, I suppose the tides were wrong, so returned to the hostel and decided to go for a walk along the beach in the opposite direction to see what there was there.

Zorritos fishing fleet at anchor


Hardly any swell here, and plenty of birds attending the boats 
The fishing boats lay off the beach, and small tenders transfer people and goods to the shore


The ubiquitous Frigate Bird

They glide along keeping an eye out for scraps, and then swoop down effortlessly picking it up off the sea surface
The beach to the South was deserted - several beach-side properties, including restaurants and hostels, back onto the sea here, though set back a hundred metres or so, but all appeared lifeless, so I had the beach to myself.


My kind of beach - deserted, calm seas and warm waters

At some places there were some rocks just offshore

Barnacle-encrusted driftwood

Abandoned jetty

Further along equally deserted
I decided to go for a swim here - the sea further South where I stay in Huanchaco is decidedly chilly all year round - and it was pleasantly warm, and with it also being calm it was very pleasant.

Trying to be artistic! Derelict jetty leading nowhere

This piece of driftwood looked like some sort of alien monster marching along the beach!
Near here I saw the first sign of life - there was a woman sitting on the sandbank a little further along. As I returned to the hostel I did notice another couple lying down enjoying the sun nearer to the hostel, but as I got alongside and glanced across at them realised they were both sunbathing in the nude (they were about 20 metres away), so hurriedly averted my gaze and proceeded back to the hostel.

Rustic walkway and sunset observation platform.
While trying to find a fishing trip in Tumbes I had come across flyers for Parque Ecológico Palo Santo, a small reserve for the protection of indigenous plant species, so decided to take a closer look the following day. The directions weren't that clear but I headed out past the University and soon found the reserve just outside Tumbes. The region is part of the Pacific Dry Forest (Bosque Seco) but is being destroyed by over-development, and the park was opened to show what the area should be like with only natural indigenous plants in it. As you arrive there is a tall observation platform, and that was my first stop.

From the platform - looking inland

Tumbes and the Pacific Ocean beyond

UNT (National University of Tumbes)

Tumbes, with, top left, the bridge which is part of the Panamerican Highway

Oven Bird nest

Quite a lot of birds about

Palo Santo tree after which the park is named. The name means "holy stick" and is believed to have mystical properties - it is related to Frankincense and Myrrh, and the burning wood gives off pleasant vapours believed to have medicinal and therapeutic healing powers!

Beautiful flowers

... and flowering cactus

Observation platform from the walkway through the park

More Palo Santo

One of several cactus species native to the area

View back from the furthest point in the park - the long low covered building is an education centre as well as a restaurant, which apparently is popular at weekends

More pretty flowers

Very spiky cactus
I had the place to myself, so wandered gently around, and then returned to the main building. I had read there was a restaurant there, but as I was the only one around wasn't sure it would be open - but it was and I had a very nice lunch. While eating I was joined by another man, who turned out to be the owner and creator of the park, and he gave me some insight into why he felt the need to create this little haven - and also asked if I would promote it through my Facebook page as they needed more visitors! He said the restaurant was busy at weekends, and they had some schools who came on field trips, but that business was very slow - I was only too pleased to give positive feedback, as I had enjoyed my day out.
After filling up with petrol I headed back to Zorritos for a siesta before dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments, however Spam or adverts will not be allowed. The blog is open to all so please minimise the use of improper language!