Saturday 13 October 2018

Power cut

Last night here in Brazil we had a power outage - or rather a severe reduction in power initially, that eventually led to a complete town-wide blackout.
It started while I was eating dinner and watching something on Netflix when the lights went out, but my laptop kept working (showed it still had mains power) and my router showed that the internet was still up, so I simply lit a candle (so I could see what I was eating!) and continued as though nothing had happened!
When I finished my meal I looked outside and though my immediate neighbourhood was in darkness I could see lights in other parts of town, and by now my (low energy) lighting was glowing feebly. The centre of town, where the ISP shop is, still had power so bizarrely, though I was sitting using candlelight for illumination I still had internet access! At around 23.00, however, everything went dark, and it remained that way till 05.00 this morning (I had left a table fan on in my bedroom so I would know when power came back on).
It brought to mind an occasion in the late 80's when I was working night shift in a bakery in Norfolk, when suddenly around 22.00 the lights went out! Electric ovens, electric mixers and lighting - all gone! After a few seconds of panic I rushed through to call the electricity company (having checked that our circuit breakers were OK, and having looked outside to see everything in darkness), and they said they were aware of the problem, were working hard to resolve it, but had no idea how long it would be. I had learnt from experience that most people assume it is a "known" problem so don't report it, and once before I had called after 2 hours (from home, not work) and the electricity company were unaware they had a fault as it hadn't been reported yet!
We were at a stage in production where we had bread products proving, some baking, and were weighing up and moulding another batch - fortunately at that moment nothing was mixing, but we needed to get another batch on in the next 30 minutes. We decided we needed to keep going, and hope that the problem would be resolved soon, so we wouldn't lose any products. We collected a few candles and pressed on!
The ovens had enough residual heat to complete baking the bread already in them but we would need power to heat the ovens back up for the next bake, as there is considerable heat loss when you empty the ovens. Dividing and moulding the dough was done by hand, so that wasn't a problem continuing with the batch we were processing.
About 10 minutes into the blackout there is a knock on the front window and one of our neighbours is peering in - "Ah, I see you have no power, too, well I am off to the pub at the corner to see if they are still serving!" As it turned out they had closed early because of the lack of power, so a few minutes later Julian returned to let us know!
30 minutes into the blackout we were at an impasse - we couldn't mix another batch, the ovens were a little too cool for the proved bread to go in, so we were now in danger of losing three batches - one fully proved and ready for the oven, and another starting the proving process, and a third which was now ready, after bulk fermentation, for dividing and moulding! As we debated whether to begin the latest batch the power came back on! Just in time!
We gave the ovens 5 minutes to recover and popped the first load in, got another mix on, processed the ready batch, and then had a much-needed tea break! We had "lost" maybe 5 minutes overall due to the power cut, and our decision to crack on regardless had proved the right one, though we were fortunate the outage had only been 30 minutes, and not the 6 hours we had here in Brazil last night"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments, however Spam or adverts will not be allowed. The blog is open to all so please minimise the use of improper language!